Council meets quarterly in March, June, September and December of each year.
Nominations for election to any position on Council must be made in writing by two Members. Such nominations should be sent together with the nominee's consent, confirming their willingness to stand plus a short biography.
In the event of there being more nominations than vacancies then a ballot will be conducted at the AGM in line with the current Articles of the Association.
According to guidance from the Charity Commission (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-whats-involved) Trustees’ (MA Members of Council) main duties are to:
1. Ensure your charity is carrying out its purpose for the public benefit.
2. Comply with your charity’s governing document and the law.
3. Act in your charity’s best interest.
4. Manage your charity’s resources responsibly.
5. Act with reasonable care and skill.
6. Ensure your charity is accountable.
• Chairing meetings of Teaching Committee including the Open Meeting at the Annual Conference.
• Liaising with the Chairs of the subcommittees and collaborating with other committees of the MA.
• Representing Teaching Committee at Council and externally.
• Preparing reports for Council and MA News.
• Reviewing matters concerning the teaching and learning of mathematics and identifying, highlighting and addressing issues of concern.
• Producing position papers and leading the MA’s response to consultations from external bodies such as the Department for Education, Ofqual and Ofsted.
Members without office are trustees without a specific role but who are required to take an active part in the association by adhering to the main duties of a trustee as specified above.